Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Good Eats Wednesday: Tomatoes Everywhere!

Last week was a tomato recipe (marinara), and this week's recipe is tomato based too! Well, I guess I like tomatoes. 

My husband has always been very anti-tomato soup. Well, this made me sad because I really like tomato soup. Only until very recently did I realize that he was talking about this... 
And I was talking about something more like this... 
Fancy! 

My version of tomato soup is fresh, delicious, and minimal. 
Ingredients: Tomatoes, Garlic, Salt, Olive Oil, Basil...THAT'S IT!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

First, grab some tomatoes (If you can grow them, use them in this please!)
Wash them, then cut them in half. Take off any stems, but you don't have to slice off the ends where the stems were. 


Stick them on a baking sheet. Grab a whole head of garlic and get peeling. Stick a clove of garlic in each tomato half. (Use half a clove if you have really big cloves) This allows the garlic to get that nice roasted flavor without getting burnt. Sprinkle generously with salt, then drizzle with olive oil. 


Stick them in the hot oven for one hour. They will make your house smell awesome! 
This is what they look like when they come out. 



You should be able to push a fork through them without any resistance. 
Let them cool for a sec, then toss them in a food processor. 
Add a generous handful of FRESH basil...

And pulse until mostly smooth. 


Then serve with a grilled cheese sandwich--preferably one made with sourdough bread and Tillamook vintage white cheddar. Perfection! 


Next week I'll have something not tomato based for you, promise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment