Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Good Eats Wednesday: Coconut Curry Awesomesauce

I loooove me a one pot meal. My husband loves curry, but I don't make it as much as I should. It's great for your health, and tastes great too, so why not? 

I like a simple curried rice with random veggies. Here's how I do it. 

2 cups brown rice
2 cups coconut milk 
2 cups water
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp curry powder 
1 tbsp garam masala (check out an ethnic market near you!)
Random Veggies: I used 1 large sweet potato and a head of broc, but use whatever you have!
1/2 cup raisins

Heat the coconut oil on medium in a large pot. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and curry powder. Stir, stir, stir. 
It's important to cook the spices, so don't skip this. 


 Add the veggies and stir for a minute. 


Then add the rice, coconut milk, water and salt. 


Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 40 minutes, or most of the liquid is absorbed. Throw in the raisins and let sit for 5 minutes. 



Optional: Grill some chicken with salt and pepper, chop and top the rice. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds if you are feeling fancy, and I know you are. 



No comments:

Post a Comment