Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY Tuesday: Body Lookin' Like MILK!

When I was little, I always hated being in an outfit that matched perfectly. "That's too matchy-matchy!" I would tell my mom. The same idea resides in our home today. I don't want everything to look as if I just walked into a store and said "I'll take the whole set."

When decorating a house with a mid-century vibe, I wanted to also touch on some decor earlier to the MCM era. My theory is that if our house was really owned by someone in the 50s/60s, even while trying to embrace a more modern style, naturally they would already have some things that were dear to them. Antiques or heirlooms maybe. 

Our fireplace mantel is TALL. It is taller than I am. Our ceilings are not particularly tall either, so it leads to an odd height of space above the fireplace to the ceiling. I had to think of something to fill the space, but not be too tall. I spent a lot of time thinking about what to do with the space. We have a beautiful crochet piece that my great aunt made us for our wedding with our last name worked in. It is already framed in a shadowbox. That was my jumping off point. 

I really love old glass pieces, particularly milk glass:

REAL milk glass is expensive and collectible. Not so much in the budget. Plus, I'm trying to go colorful in the living room. While internet dreaming, I saw this piece: 

I am in love with all things Tiffany blue-ish and I knew that I could recreate this look. 
Off to the goodwill I went! 

I grabbed a bunch of bumpy clear glass pieces in varying sizes and shapes. then I narrowed them down to the ones I wanted. Lots were 50% off, so I ended up getting them all for about $5. Not too shabby. I took them home, cleaned them, and painted then on the INSIDE only with light blue paint, making sure to cover completely. Arranged around the crochet piece, I love how they look. They are totally reminiscent of milk glass, for so so much cheaper. It ties into the history that I want to create for this house. They fill the space, but are not overwhelming. Perfect. 

Here's the finished product: 

And the whole picture: 

No comments:

Post a Comment