Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Good Eats Wednesday: Tortilla Soup!

I went a little crazy at costco. We had people coming over, I was making nachos, and I panicked in an I-don't-know-how-much-these-new-boys-eat moment and bought two super huge bags of tortilla chips. I've been using them as much as I can, but there's still a lot left. (I'm making queso for game night this week so I can use more!)

I made a de-lish soup last night that I KNOW you will love. 

Ingredients: 
3 chicken breasts
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 habanero, chopped (optional)
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups crushed corn tortilla chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degress. Mix the garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin together. Put the chicken in a baking dish, sprinkle the spices on top. 



 Bake for 30 minutes, or until internal temp reads 160 degrees. Shred with two forks. 






While chicken is cooking, get a big ol pot. Over medium heat, sautee the onions and jalapeno in the oil. DO NOT ADD THE HABANERO at this point. I did, like a fool, and got pretty much all kinds of pepper sprayed up in here. Sautee until sligthy browned. Add the habanero.




Then add the shredded chicken and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then turn to simmer and add the crushed chips. Since they have salt on them, I didn't salt until I tasted the soup after adding the chips. Adjust seasoning accordingly. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chips can dissolve and thicken the soup. 


ACTION SHOT!!! 


Serve with some more chips crushed on top, sour cream, avocado if you have it, squeeze of lime, and some cheese! 
Yummy! 


1 comment:

  1. Really great with the crushed chips on top.

    Also, ACTION SHOT! (LOL!!)

    ReplyDelete