Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Good Eats Wednesday: Open Valley...that sounds wrong...

Don't get me wrong, I love a good ol' ranch dressing. But I worry about all of the unpronounceable ingredients, the fact that something with 'buttermilk' is magically shelf stable, and that it has a lot of calories. To be truthful, my husband also gives me a hard time about eating it. But darn it, this is America. I need ranch! I have been working on making an alternative that I like just as much as the bottled stuffz, and I think that I have done it! 

Ingredients: 

1/2 pint low fat buttermilk
1/2 cup non fat greek yogurt
1/4 cup italian flat leaf parsely
2 stalks of green onions, green part only
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed VERY small
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
juice of half a lemon 
salt and pepper to taste


Chop up the parsley, green onion, and garlic. Do it right, make it super fine. The dressing will be tons more flavorful. 


Then add the yogurt, stirring to combine. 


Add the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce, stir. Then, thin the dressing to the thickness you prefer with the buttermilk. You might not use it all, but use at least half of the little container. 

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then refrigerate. This dressing will improve over time. I would think that it will keep about a week. 



If you can't wait for the flavors to meld (I couldn't), put it on a salad with some hot wing sauce dressed chicken. Amazing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment