Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vitamin K

I have a cold, so I'm taking it easy. In an effort to eat some veggies instead of all the brown rice that I have been eating (It's the only thing that sounds good!) I made some kale chips. I cannot resist anything with a nice crunch, no matter how sick I am. And kale chips are so good, and so easy. 

You'll find a bazillion recipes on the interwebs for them, but this is how I have made them for a year or so now. I like them nutty and a bit spicy....just like my men. That's a knee slapper right there!

The key is having kale that is very very dry. I buy pre-washed and dried kale for this reason. So much easier. 

This recipe is easily altered, just know that you need an oil and seasonings. If you have liquid seasonings (like lemon juice or something) it will take a bit longer in the oven. You can make them as fancy with the seasonings that you like, but I like simplicity. 


I use: 
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
1 tsp garlic chili sauce
dash of salt   
1/4 lb kale, washed and dried completely


Preheat your oven to 450. Mix up the oil, chili sauce, and salt. Put the kale in a big bowl and pour the mix over it. You might want to pick the stems out of the kale, but I like them. 
Toss to combine, massaging the kale just a little bit while you whisper sweet nothings. 



Spread out into an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn the baking sheet around and bake for another two minutes. Keep going in 2 minute intervals until you have the crisp chips you desire. In my oven it takes about 9 minutes. 
 There is a fine line between done and burnt. You are aiming for dark green with brown edges. Once you are at that stage, pull them and get them off the pan. Eat them. Then thank me. You are welcome. 



Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

1 comment: