Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Muffin Man

We are really enjoying being vegan, but one thing we have struggled with is breakfast. Since we are not big tofu eaters, we ruled out tofu scrambles (except for special occasions). 
That does leave a myriad of other options, including breakfast burritos, peanut butter toast, oatmeal, and muffins. 

We (meaning the husband) love muffins. So I researched how to make some delicious vegan muffins, and here's what I came up with. The recipe is based off of a couple of recipes I found online, and I have altered it enough to call it my own. The trick is to leave the flour and milk out overnight to soften the flour. It makes for a really light muffin.  

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups milk alternative of choice (I used coconut)
 1 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp oil of choice (I used olive oil)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup frozen berries, thawed (juices and all)
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup walnut pieces


Mix together the flour, milk, and vinegar. Leave on counter overnight. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix to combine. Don't worry if it looks grey (I was a little freaked out...), mine baked to a nice blueberry shade. 




Pour into an oiled muffin tin, fill 2/3 of the way. Mine made about 18 muffins. 

Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes. 


Serve with some vegan butter. YUM. 


Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

1 comment: