Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

5 Steps to Being a Better Cook

Cooking your own meals is a great way to stretch your budget, increase confidence, and have fun. If you find it intimidating--as many people do--here are my five steps to gain confidence in the kitchen! 

1. Believe you can do it! 
If you eat something in a restaurant that you adore, think about how you could make it yourself. Believe me, there are very little things at a restaurant that you cannot make at home. If you have no idea how to make it, at least think of the flavors in your mouth and how they compliment one another. Then, look online to find a recipe to recreate it. 

Real life example: Back in my meat eating days, I liked some chick-fil-a once in a while. (Oregon doesn't have chick-fil-a and I'm no longer interested in going there--for multiple reasons) With the help of the internet, I created a sandwich that we think is just as good, and cheaper!

2. Walk before you run!
Use a recipe the first time, the second time, and until you feel super confident. One of the most enjoyable things is finally freeing yourself from a recipe and then making some alterations that end up still working. It also helps you to identify amounts of ingredients that are appropriate. You can apply that knowledge to other dishes. 
On the same note, I think making the same dish three times until it's perfection is more beneficial than skipping around from dish to dish. You are able to master techniques then move on, applying the techniques to the next recipe. 

Real life example: I had no problem making lots of things without a recipe, but now I am back to using lots of recipes while I am learning how to cook vegan food! It's a whole new world! 

3. Practice the minutia! 
Do you know how to fold, whip, dice, and julienne? Knowing the motions and routines of cooking help it eventually become second nature. There are tons of videos on you tube to help increase your knowledge. 

Real life example: The first time I made a souffle, I watched about a million videos on how to fold in egg whites. It's a crucial part of the recipe, and I wanted to get it right. It worked. 

4. Stick to a theme. 
This suggestion is best if you are concerned about lots of ingredients that you only use once, or the cost of trying lots of recipes. Personally, I recommend Asian food as a good starter theme. It seems super complicated (It's not!) and it is a great confidence booster once you master it. The ingredients are used in many other dishes, which saves on cost. Also, Asian food is a great way to use many techniques. You will learn great knife skills, how to stir fry, saute, fry, make a soup, balance flavors, and make a number of delicious sauces. 

Real life example: I have a fridge full of Asian ingredients, and I never am at a loss of something to make. I have sesame seed oil, soy sauce, miso, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, teriyaki sauce, fish sauce (well, not anymore), lots of veggies, rice, wonton wrappers, and noodles. You can get these ingredients for super cheap at an Asian grocery store. 

5. Enjoy the ride!
Something doesn't work? You burn something? No big deal! The key is to not get discouraged, but rather to think about what you could do differently next time. You may need a different recipe, tool, or ingredient. Cooking takes a while to master, so be patient and keep trying! 

Real life example: I am working on the perfect veggie patty. It must stay together, be super nutritious, and be tasty. It is a hard thing to achieve but I keep trying! 

Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment