Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Good Eats Wednesday: ANDIE THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

My friend posted two pictures of when she was making Jalapeno Strawberry jam. Only two pictures and I had the bug. I needed to make some for myself, STAT. 

Here's the story. 

I knew that I wanted to make freezer jam, as I like the fresh fruit taste. But I wasn't really big on having the fresh jalapeno taste in my jam. Here's how I got the best of both worlds. 


 I bought two packages of Shur-Jell fruit pectin and busted them open. The recipe for the freezer jam  is in there. It's easy. I doubled the recipe, that's why I used two packages .

I used about 5 large jalapenos, which when finely chopped in the food processor, yielded just under one cup.  


 To get the raw jalapeno taste out, I stuck them in my NEW AWESOME AMAZING cast iron pan for a couple of minutes. 



Then I prepared my fruit, using the food processor as well. Just follow the measurements closely and you'll be good to go. 


I mixed the fruit in a big bowl, then added the sugar. I stirred it up. 




Then I prepared the pectin, boiling it for one minute according to the package. 

BLURRY ACTION SHOT! NO TIME TO FOCUS CAMERA!

The pectin was mixed into the fruit/sugar, and I stirred it for three minutes. 



I ladled it into the plastic containers for the freezer and the glass one that I am going to keep in the fridge--won't last long around here!



Verdict: Great sweet strawberry taste with a nice subtle bite. It's great. Here's how I like to eat it:



Yep, that's a saltine and cream cheese. 

Make some, it's super easy!


2 comments:

  1. I see a Thanksgiving App in the making...yum
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will happily be blamed for that. Yours set too! I guess ill use the package directions next time

    ReplyDelete