Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

My Zenni Optical Experience

So my glasses broke. And I had used up my lens allowance through my insurance getting lenses in my Mom's saweeeeet bright blue 80's Raybans. So I researched alternative glasses methods. 

I found: 
http://www.zennioptical.com/

I read great reviews about them online, so I thought that I would give it a go. I know it might be nerve racking for you, so don't worry, I did it for you! 

When you do this kind of thing, you should totally upload a picture so you can try the glasses on your face. I liked that a lot, since I'm so blind that normally at a doctor's office trying on the model frames with no prescription is a pain. I'm like 2 inches from the mirror and second guessing everything.  This way (online) you get to see it on your face, and with good vision from your glued together current glasses. Then you get to stare at and analyze your face for as long as you want.

The website (which worked better on Firefox for me) has awesome sorting options. They have a huge selection, and I narrowed it down to three or so.  
Then I slept on it, and ordered the winning pair the next day. 

You need to know your prescription, as well as your Pupillary Distance (PD). This isn't listed on a normal prescription, so you have to ask to get it measured or have them give it to you at the doctor's office. No biggie.

I picked a 20 dollar frame, and needed a couple of upgrades with lens thickness (I don't want coke bottle lenses!) and such, but that only cost 20 dollars extra. So I was at about 40 dollars for new glasses. Sounds good to me. I usually run well over 100 dollars at the doctor's office. 
Also, I wanted to get out of my "box" with glasses, and this was the perfect opportunity to do so, as they were cheaper and I could order another pair if I hated them. I feel such pressure to pick glasses at the doctor's--with not seeing myself clearly, and it being my once chance to pick right for the next year of glasses. 

I plugged in my numbers for my prescription, and my glasses were here within a week. They are awesome. I've been wearing glasses since third grade, and I can tell that these frames are higher quality most I've had. Here's a pic of the glasses at breakfast in Portland: 


And just in case you wanted a bonus husband shot: 

This restaurant has the best vegan and omni options EVER, and is an unbelievable hipster spotting area.
 It's on the visitor list now. 

Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

2 comments:

  1. Super Cute! I am due for some new eyes myself(so is your cuz and his tastes are outrageous expensive), I will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I am still really happy with mine. There's also www.warbyparker.com and http://www.coastal.com/ out there.

      Both are more expensive than Zenni, but have either their own brand or name brands. Still probably cheaper than the doctors, depending on your insurance.

      Delete