Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Winter Veggies

Sometimes, you start out just wanting to take a picture of some potatoes that are pretty....

and you end up making some magically delicious roasted potato medley that ends up being more than the sum of its parts. 

I bought these purple potatoes on impulse, because purple. That's what qualifies as an impulse buy around here; we obviously lead exciting lives. 

If you are in the mood for something like this, use whatever winter root veggies you have on hand. Potatoes, squash, carrots, whatev. 



First, I preheated my oven to 450 degrees. 
I sliced the potatoes up to about 1/4 inch thickness and ooooohed about how pretty they were. Then I grabbed the one lonely sweet potato in the fridge, and I also sliced that to the same thickness. I added 1/2 of a large sweet onion, sliced. I stuck it all on a large baking sheet. 


Then the magic happened. I drizzled the veggies with about 2 tbsp olive oil, then added random dried herbs from my spice cabinet. This is what made it.
 Here's the scoop: 
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp herbs de provence blend (sub any herb blend you have on hand)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme 
2 tsp kosher salt
10 grinds fresh ground pepper

Throw the seasonings and oil on the veggies, then toss with your hands to combine. Stick in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the veggies have crispy bottoms and your house smells amazing. If you are vegan, inhale it as is--like what happened yesterday in my house. Otherwise, serve as a side for some grilled chicken or something. 


Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment