Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Almost, But Not Quite

It's a rainy, cold day here in Oregon. Perfect for working on my dresser in the garage and listening to the rain. 

When we last left Mr. Curb Dresser, he just finished being painstakingly stripped of paint and waiting in the garage. 

The paint stripping process was effective, but a pain. 
Here's what worked for me: 

Apply Stripper
Let sit 24 hours
Scrape with a paint knife
Apply more Stripper 
Let sit 24 hours
Scrape with a paint knife
Scrub areas with a green scrubby
Scrub areas with a cleaner green scrubby
Scrub areas with a toothbrush
Wash with Murphy's Oil Soap
Dry with paper towels
Repeat process for all sides, since you can only work on sides parallel to the ground. 

Mr. Curb Dresser was a source of so much frustration that he sat in the garage for a while. He had to think about what he had done. Today, I felt like he has had enough time to think. 

Thankfully, the rest of the steps are a JOY. 

I got some Danish Oil in Medium Walnut, Howard Feed-n-Wax, and a pair of old socks. 


FYI: The Feed-n-Wax will have to be shared in the next post, as the Danish Oil is currently drying on the dresser. Tomorrow I will apply the Feed-n-Wax and the dresser will get to move inside! 

 I am out of gloves, so I rigged up a CLASSY solution. 
Do you have any idea how hard it is to take a picture with your right covered in plastic bags and a sock, and the left hand having to reach to the right side of the camera to take the picture? That's why this picture looks like this: 


Anyway, I just poured a bit of the Danish Oil on my sock and wiped it onto the wood. It applied really evenly without trying. It says not to pour it on the wood directly, but I got some drips accidentally and they wiped out great. 

Here's a drawer with the right side oiled and the left side bare. Looking good! 

After I applied the oil all over, I went back with a second coat. The wood was absorbing the oil nicely. I will go back out this afternoon and wipe off any excess oil. 

And after the two coats (and a hardware mock-up):



Here's what the front of the dresser looked like after oiling: 


I just can't wait to have this project all done! The end is within sight! 


Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment