Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Quilt Update

I have made a bunch of progress on my quilt, although lately I've been focusing more on the dresser project. I know y'all deserve an update though!

To review, I cut 5" squares, then placed them right sides together (I used a brown batik for the stripes, so each square was 1 batik square and another random square)

Then I sewed 1/4" from the diagonal on the squares on each side. That is confusing, so here's the diagram that I stuck in a previous post. 
I finished all of the over 300 squares while watching Whisker Wars. This series is on Netflix and is about competitive beard growing. Perfect quilting entertainment. 


Yep. 


I cut the squares on the pencil line, then pressed them open to create two triangles sewed together via the hypotenuse. I pressed the seams toward the brown fabric so that the dark fabric wouldn't show through the lighter fabric on the right side of the quilt. 


Once they were all done and ironed, husband sorted them for me into like piles. 

Then I pushed back the couch and started laying them out. This step is important so that you get a visually balanced quilt in the end. I'm not done with that step yet, but once I am, I will be sewing the top all together. I'm super stoked with how it looks! 
I think (although I'm not done yet) that the cutting out of squares was the hardest part of this quilt. It's been a super fun project though. 

Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment