Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

He got the velcro

I got to go thrifting for the first time in a long time, and the thrift shop gods smiled on me. 
First, here's a video--in case you live under a rock and haven't seen it--that adequately sums up my love for thrifting. 


I only purchased 4 items. I am extremely picky when I thrift, as it's easy to spend money on things you will never wear or use. But when I encounter THE ITEM, I know it. 
We have a moment.

In this case, the magic happened when I met all of these items: 




 Let's talk sewing box first. 

I have always wanted one of these! The angled legs caught my eye first. The wood crap aisle is always intimidating at Goodwill, as it's not very organized. But take your time and check it all out. There's 'gold' in there, and lots of it is vintage. (before the "plastic age") This box made me squeal, especially when I discovered that it folds out like a tackle box. I can now free up the bowls that I currently store pins and needles in. It's something that your grandma has that gets passed down. It has some wear on the top, but I'm not going to touch that--it's earned it character. 

Next, let's talk about the clothes
 (not the scale yet, I'm saving the best for last).

The sweater is a new sweater, with tags still on, from Target. Always shop at a Goodwill nearest a Target, as that's where they send their clearance rejects. It's great for the more expensive lines Target does, like the recent Neiman Marcus collaboration (I found NM sweater there this time, but it was too big). 

The skirt has buttons down the front and pockets. It will be shortening it, as it hits mid calf. It will replace the other dark background floral skirt that I have worn. to. death. Literally held together with safety pins. 

Okay, the scale. I have been angry with my current scale for a while, as it EATS batteries. And they are the expensive flat ones too. Today I took out the battery and stuck it in my pocket, determined to get some more after I went to Goodwill. But I found a manual scale for $3!!!! 



This 50's scale stuck out at me under the pile of modern scales at Goodwill. 
I did test it with practically ALL of the other scales at Goodwill. That's right, I spend 15 minutes weighing myself with various scales at Goodwill. No shame. This scale was just as accurate as the new ones, and it is much cooker looking. 

I cleaned it up when I got home, and I think it's perfect.

Here's the old one: 

Shame on you Taylor scale for eating batteries! 

The best part of the new scale is that I just did some research on the Borg name. They are selling for up to 70 dollars on Ebay! Don't worry Mr. Scale, I'd never sell you!

I tell ya, it's the little things in life.  


Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment