Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

End of Vegan Challenge!

So, here we are, three months without ingesting animal products. You probably think that we've turned into this guy: 




Well, we haven't. We have probably shifted a bit more toward the dirty hippie side of the spectrum, but we're totally still showering and everything. Promise. And lezz be honest, we were pretty much on the dirty hippie side of the scale already. 

I am staying vegan, and husband is as well. I wasn't predicting that outcome at the beginning of the year. It comes down to several factors: 

1. We feel great. 
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we have tons of energy, and no "Ugh, I just stuffed myself, I need to lie down" feeling after eating. We get to eat more volume with less calories. 

2. We don't feel deprived. 
There's a vegan alternative to everything in these modern times! Even though we generally stay away the fake meats and cheeses, we also believe in indulging in cravings before they become obsessions. If I do miss anything, it's the convenience of quick eating, and we really shouldn't be eating those convenience foods anyway. 

3. There's an amazing power in saying "no" to yourself.
This is hard to explain unless you've experienced it yourself. I think of our modern food world as being in a constant state of feasting. High calorie foods are the norm. We eat those high calorie foods and our brain is happy for a moment, because feasting just feels good. We want that feeling again and again. Obviously we can see the effect of this behavior on our society. Making a break in that behavior ends up making you feel better, for a longer period of time. What you don't realize is that while feasting feels good, not feasting doesn't feel bad. In fact, it doesn't feel like anything! Your self control improves, and you realize that emotion doesn't rule your food choices anymore. I am the most in control of my relationship with food than I have ever been, and I am loving it. 

4. It's easy now!
I've adapted to cooking vegan, we've adapted to eating vegan, and we know where to eat out. 

As I have said before, eating is a highly personal choice, and has a major impact on your body. I urge you to think about your own food 'path'. Do what is right for YOU! 

Thanks for reading! Best wishes and love from Portland. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making your goal. As a cheesemaker's daugher, I don't think I could go vegan. You talk about self control... well, I love bread and potatoes and I find that if I let myself eat them, I go way over my calorie count. It would be very hard to for me to go vegan without bread and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete